Benefits of breastfeeding
The decision to breastfeed is a very important one that can mean better health for you and your baby both now and in the future. In fact, given the choice, it is very likely that all babies would choose to be breastfed. On this website we hope to give you some useful information to help you make an informed infant feeding decision.
Breastfeeding has many advantages for babies, their mothers, for society and for the environment. Some of these advantages are listed below.
Benefits for babies
The health benefits of breastfeeding for babies include less risk of:
- Stomach upsets
- Coughs and colds
- Ear infections
- Asthma and eczema
- Obesity (being very overweight)
- High blood pressure later in life
Breastfed babies also have:
- Better mental development
- Better mouth formation and straighter teeth
Benefits for mothers
- The health benefits of breastfeeding for mothers include:
- Less risk of breast cancer
- Less risk of ovarian cancer
- Less risk of bone thinning (osteoporosis) in later life
- Stronger bones in later life
- Faster return to pre-pregnancy figure
Breastfeeding has other benefits too.
- It creates a special bond between mother and baby,
- It is cheaper because less equipment is needed, and
- It saves you time because you do not have to prepare bottles.